SECOND EUROPEAN AGROFORESTRY CONFERENCE, 4-6 June 2014, Cottbus (Germany)
The 2nd European Agroforestry Conference (an event organized every two years by EURAF) took place from 4 to 6 June 2014 in Cottbus (Germany), under the subject of:
'INTEGRATING SCIENCE & POLICY TO PROMOTE AGROFORESTRY IN PRACTICE'
The conference aimed to provide a platform for people from diverse backgrounds to present, discuss, and debate critical issues related to agroforestry. It was hosted by the Brandenburg University of Technology, with the assitance of CEBra - Centrum fur Energietechnologie Brandenburge.
Conference Book is available for download here.
Conference Programme is available for download here.
Keynote Speeches, Wednesday, 4th June 2014
BMEL (presented by Georg von Wühlisch): Further development of the CAP after 2013 with special focus on agroforestry systems/SRF. Download here.
Mélanie Lamaison (AlienorEU): Lobbying for Agroforestry in the EU. Download here.
Patrick Worms (World Agroforestry Centre): Agroforestry: key to the development challenge. Download here.
Florian Schöne (NABU): Integrating science & policy to promote agroforestry in practice – A nature conservation perspective. Download here.
Diomy Zamora, University of Minnesota / AFTA's president.
Thursday, 5th June 2014
Session I: New insights into carbon, water and nutrient cycling in agroforestry
Gerardo Moreno: Pasture management under hardwood plantations: legume implantation vs. mineral fertilization (Spain). Download here.
Rémi Cardinael, Tiphaine Chevallier, Bernard Barthès, Christian Dupraz, Claire Chenu: Soil carbon sequestration in a Mediterranean agroforestry system (France). Download here.
G. Issa, A. A. Kimaro, J. D. Knight and J. Kort: Biophysical Interactions in the Alley Cropping System in Saskatchewan (Canada, Tanzania). Download here.
R.S. Dhillon, R.S. Beniwal, G. von Wühlisch: Carbon Sequestration in a Poplar Agroforestry System in India with Wheat and other Crops at Different Spacing and Row Directions (India, Germany). Download here.
Session II: Policy proposals and impacts
Sylvie Guillerme: Agroforestry in the French Green and Blue Corridors policy: towards promotion of trees (France)? Download here
Andrea Pisanelli, P. Paris, D. Marandola, R. Romano, S. Marongiu, A. Rosati: The role of EU rural development policy in supporting agroforestry systems in EU (Italy). Download here.
Fernando Pulido: Towards a joint strategy for Iberian oak agroforestry systems: acknowledging the value of dehesas and montados (Portugal, Spain). Download here.
Mahbubul Alam, Alain Olivier, Alain Paquette, Jérôme Dupras, Jean-Pierre Revéret, Christian Messier: A Methodological Framework for Quantification and Valuation of Ecosystem Services of Tree-Based Intercropping Systems (France). Download here.
Session III: Environmental benefits provided by agroforestry
Sebastian Wolfrum: Do agroforestry systems promote a thriving nightlife? Assessing bat activity with an easy to use standardized protocol (Germany).
David Grandgirard: SCA0PEST Pesticide-free agroforestry cropping system: ex-ante performances evaluation (France). Download here.
Josée Owen and Sheldon Hann: Variable-width Buffers to Reduce Sediment Pollution from Potato Production on Steep Slopes: Analysis of Black Brook Watershed using AgBufferBuilder (Canada, USA). Download here.
Session IV: Agroforestry for land reclamation
Marina Castro Esther Fernández-Núñez: Small ruminants as a fire management tool in a Mediterranean mountain region (Portugal). Download here.
Rosa Mosquera-Losada: Celtic pig production in chesnut extensive systems in Galicia (Spain).
Michael Kanzler, Christian Böhm, Ansgar Quinkenstein: Alley Cropping – A promising multifunctional form of land use for reclaimed lignite mine sites in Germany (Germany). Download here.
Éva Bozsik: Modeling of agroforestry in Natura 2000 habitat site in Hungary. Download here
Session V: Innovative solutions for sustainable agriculture with agroforestry
Paula Gaspar: Valuation of grazing resources in agroforestry systems: an example of extensive livestock farms of Spanish Dehesas (Spain).
Alfredo Sendim: Holistic agroforestry system in practice. Just an idea or is there a living model (Portugal). Download here.
Göran Spangenberg, Prof.Dr. Sebastian Hein, Joachim Schneider: Combining hens for egg production and trees for wood chips in an agroforestry system (Germany). Download here.
Paul J Burgess, V Belot, E Buachie, J Cuartero de Frias, K Nedved, E Rodríguez Arquero: The Economics of Woodland Eggs in the UK. Download here.
Paris P, Andre J, Facciotto G, Tosi L, Nahm M, Morhart C, Douglas GC, Lunny R, Dupraz C, Graves A: Alley coppice: an innovative land use system - options of system design with experimental evidence (Italy, Germany, Ireland, France, UK). Download here.
- Ferreiro-Domínguez N, Palma J, Rigueiro-rodríguez A, Minnuno F, Mosquera-Losada M R: Calibration of the parameters of the Yield-SAFE model in silvopastoral systems under Pinus radiata D. Don (Spain). Download here
- Robert Borek: Options and restrictions for Agroforestry in Poland.
- T.V. Medinski: Soil respiration in alley-cropping system composed of black locust and poplar trees (Germany).Download here
- A. Sieffert: Trees for bees and sustainabiliy (France).
- A. Sieffert: From research to the field…developing a third generation agroforestry (France).
- A. Vityi, B. Marosvölgyi, Z. Szalai, A. Varga: Agroforestry research and development in Hungary. Download here
- Alberto Mantino, Enrico Bonari: New experience in Mediterranean areas: production and nutritive value of perennial forage species in agroforestry rainfed systems (Italy). Download here
- Monique Bestman: Goats chose for trees when given free choice (Netherlands). Download here
- Eugene Curran: Agroforestry and the Afforestation Programme in the Republic of Ireland. Download here
- A. Sieffert, C. Lavigne, F. Warlop, V. Le Pichon, S. Bellon, M. Tchamitchian, L. Castel, G. Vercambre: Co-Design of innovative Periurban Horticultural Agroforestry Systems. Case Study of a pilot farm in the South of France. Download here
- Geneviève LAROCHE, Jean MERCIER, Alain OLIVIER: Agricultural, forest and rural policy sectors’ receptiveness to agroforestry intercropping systems in Quebec (Canada). Download here
- Thevathasan N V, Gordon A M, Wotherspoon A, Graungaard K,
Dunfield K, Jefferies D, Heck R, Coleman R, Voroney R P: Tree-based intercropping: A land-use for greenhouse gas mitigation in Canadian agricultural systems (India, Canada). Download here
- Bohdan Lojka, Antonín Martiník: Agroforestry in Czech Republic – present state and perspectives (Czech Republic). Download here
- Hein S, Parbhoo B, Hammer A: Behaviour of Degradable Tree Shelters in an Agro-Forestry Environment (Germany, UK). Download here
- Boki Luske: Could tree leaves serve as a mineral supplement for dairy cows and goats (The Netherlands)? Download here
- Daza A., Camacho M., Romero de la Osa L., Santamaría C.: Mycelium patterns of two edible ectomycorrhizal mushrooms in the soil of a chestnut grove (Spain). Download here
- Charles Burriel: The Knowledge Data Bank, (KBD), in the AgroFE project (EU Leonardo ToI project) (France).
- C. Fürstenau and A. Vetter: Short rotation coppices along watercourses – an innovative combination of sustainable agriculture and water protection (Germany). Download here
- Grandgirard D., Combaud A., Mercadal A.M., Liagre F., Bachevillier Y., Marin A.: Territorial agroforestry design using GIS-KB DSS for catchment water quality recovery (France). Download here
- Mézière D., Bachevillier Y., Canet A., Carlier B., Grandgirard D., Liagre, F., Dupraz C.: RMT “AgroforesterieS”: a new Mixed Technological Network for agroforestry development in France. Download here
- Eugene Curran: Agroforestry and the Afforestation Programme in the Republic of Ireland. Download here
- Falk Richter, Martin Jansen, Norbert Lamersdorf: Reduced groundwater recharge under short rotation coppice plantations – may agroforestry help to lessen the enhanced water consumption (Germany)? Download here
- Felix Herzog, Mareike Jäger, Monika Kuster: On-farm monitoring of agroforestry
innovations (Switzerland). Download here
- Frederique Santi: Creating numerous forestry varieties for agroforestry lines: renewing old methods (France). Download here
- G. Busch: Where to implement Short Rotation Agroforestry Systems? A spatially- explicit approach to derive site suitability with respect tofrom site conditions and field geometries (Germany).
- G. Busch: How could Agroforestry Systems provide beneficial effects on ecosystem services? – An assessment framework to support regional governance of climate protection goals in the Göttingen district (Germany).
- Gálya Bernadett: Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia L.) - an invasive alien species or potentially species plantation of agroforestry in Pannonian ecoregion (Hungary).
- Moreno G, Pulido F, González-Bornay G, López-Díaz ML, Bertomeu M, Juárez E.: The role of scattered trees and habitat diversity for biodiversity of Iberian dehesas (Spain). Download here
- Gerardo MORENO , Víctor ROLO and María Lourdes LÓPEZ-DÍAZ: Interactions among plant layers in shrub-encroached Iberian dehesas and consequences for their persistence (Spain). Download here
- ML López Díaz, G Moreno, M Bertomeu: Silvopastoral management for quality wood production (Spain). Download here
- Catalán M., Palomo G., Rey-Benayas J.M., Redondo J.M., Moreno G.: Holistic Management approach as a tool for dehesa/montado restoration (Spain). Download here
- Crous-Duran, J.; Paulo, J.A.; Palma, J.H.N.: Carbon balance estimation for agroforestry land use alternatives in Portugal. Download here
- Palma, J.H.N.: CliPick - Climate change web picker. Bridging climate and biological modeling scientific communities (Portugal). Download here
- Palma, J.H.N.; Crous-Duran, J.; Merouani, H.; Paulo, J.A.; Tomé, M.: Innovating tree plantation design: spiralographing agroforestry (Portugal). Download here
- Jean-Louis Pacito, Odile Jacquemin: Biomimicry, Ecomimetism, Agroforestry and Landscapes (France).
- John Kort: Allometry of green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica Marsh.) in shelterbelts: The determination of porosity and stem/branch distribution by image analysis and field measurements (Canada).
- John Kort: Seabuckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides); breeding for commercial production and phytochemical profile, and incorporation in agroforestry systems in Canada.
- K. Sungthongwises, R. Poss and J.J. Drevon: Effects of P on Vigna unguiculata cv. 305 and Stylosanthes hamata cv. Verano symbiosis in the field of a rubber-tree plantation (France). Download here
- Justine Lamerre, Kai-Uwe Schwarz, Maren Langhof, Georg von Wühlisch and Jörg-Michael Greef: Energy wood production in alley cropping agroforestry systems (Germany). Download here
- Konrad Lorenz: Results for net primary production from with biologically treated wastewater irrigated poplars and willows in short rotation coppices (Germany).
- L. Chmeliková: Effect of tree species and location within tree strips on plant species richness and composition in agroforestry systems (Germany).
- L. Chmeliková: Different trees - different regeneration ability: assessing the number of sprouts after first harvest in organic and integrated agroforestry systems (Germany).
- Linda Hartmann: Setting up a willow short rotation plantation as an alley cropping system – aspects on nutrient cycling and yield development (Germany).
- Linda S. Jung, Manuela Bärwolff, Armin Vetter: Evolution of crop yields and qualities in a short rotation coppice alley cropping system in Central Germany. Download here
- Tosi L, Nahm M, Paris P, Pisanelli A, Lunny R, Morhart C, Graves A: Social and economic evaluation of innovative alley coppice systems mixing timber trees with bioenergy wood crops in agroforestry systems (Italy, Germany). Download here
- Miriam Ehret, Rüdiger Graß and Michael Wachendorf: Solid biofuel and biogas production from a grassland-willow alley cropping system (Germany). Download here
- Markus Schmidt, Tobias Böhme, Sören Krämer, Peter Rademacher, Dieter Murach: Water use and productivity of poplar and willow in SRC plantations in NE Germany along gradients of groundwater depth (Germany). Download here
- Mélanie Lamaison: Agreau (France).
- Michael Jacobson: The state of alley cropping systems for bioenergy (USA).
- Molto Quentin: Is light competition between trees and crops a limiting factor for agroforestry systems at high latitudes (France)?
- Monique Bestman: Goats chose for trees when giving free choice (The Netherlands). Download here
- Nora Koim: Growth performance and survival of poplar and willow in waterlogged soils – a comparison of two sites (Germany). Download here
- Mosquera-Losada MR, Rigueiro-Rodríguez A, Ferreiro-Domínguez N: Tree growth in a silvopastoral system established in acid soils with Pinus radiata D. Don (Spain). Download here
- Paula Gaspar: Environmental, economic and social indicators of rural development in agroforestry areas (Spain). Download here
- Paula Gaspar: Cattle production in agroforestry systems. An analysis on the role of intensification and dependence of subsidies (Spain). Download here
- Jennemann: Ecologically sound sites, establishment and cultivation of short rotation coppice (SRC) and SRC-strips (Germany).
- Rut Serra, Ing. Tech. Agr., Msc., Dr. Christopher Opio, Dr. Damase P. Khasa, Dr. Oscar García: Profitability of sheep grazing in British Columbia, Canada. Download here
- Rainer Schlepphorst: SUNFUEL II - Project: Shelterbelt of fast growing tree species for mitigation of wind erosion and carbon sequestration in an open landscape of northeast Germany. Download here
- Ricardo Kaufer: The influence of policy sectors on agroforestry in Germany.
- Lunny, Rory; McAdam, Jim; Douglas, Gerry: Alley Coppice: Combining Willow SRC with Poplar and Cherry trees (UK). Download here
- Homar-Sánchez C.A., Rigueiro-Rodríguez A., Mosquera-Losada M.R., Urbán-Martínez I., Santacruz-Pérez D., González-Fernández B., Ruano Pérez M., Licea Moreno R.: Juglans growth under ploughing and Vicia villosa sowing understory management (Spain). Download here
- Iglesias A, Rigueiro-Rodríguez A, Santiago-Freijanes J.J., Perez C, Rodriguez I. M., Carril J. A., Mosquera-Losada M. R.: Analysis of a silvopastoral system with animals of the autochthonous swine breed Porco Celta in Galicia (Spain). Download here
- Rosa Mosquera-Losada, Antonio Riguero-Rodríguez and Esther Fernández-Núnez: Pasture production and quality in silvopastoral systems established with pine and downy birch after fourteen years of development (Spain). Download here
- Sarah Keutmann, Philipp Grundmann, Götz Uckert: How two business models respond to current challenges of agrowood production: The case of Brandenburg/Germany. Download here
- Tricia Pollock: Agroforestry for Greenhouse Gas Mitigation in Canada.
- V.Ivecik: Potential of growing crops between poplar rows in hybrid poplar plantations in Croatia.
- Wolfgang Zehlius-Eckert: The potential function of short rotation coppice strips for birds and ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) (Germany).Download here
- Ansgar Quinkenstein: Model-based analysis of the carbon sequestration potential of short rotation coppices on reclaimed lignite mine sites (Germany). Download here
- Sidonie Artru: Winterwheat and summer shade (Belgium)?
Field trip. Excursion Guide is available for download here.
- large-scale opencast lignite mining operation areas/recultivation areas (with fast growing tree species)
- pilot facility with alley cropping / fast growing tree species
- 6 ha vineyard
- natural succession area
- lunch near an agricultural area with alley cropping
- old agroforestry systems in the Spreewald (FP7 projects)
With the kind support of
Please follow the link for further information.